Friday, October 22, 2010

11 Days to Go

Sadie's surgery is in 11 days.  I am beyond nervous about the whole thing and feeling a bit guilty about putting her through what she's getting ready to go through.  It's hard when she is not in obvious pain to know that she is getting ready to be in pain without understanding why.  I do see evidence of her getting a bit worse.  I thought the recent "bathroom accidents" in the house were because I was sick and not paying attention.  I realized that she doesn't seem to feel that she needs to go to the bathroom until the LAST SECOND.  This is new.  Now, I have to go in the yard and give her the bathroom command or she will not go (until she's inside and realizes that she needs to go RIGHT THEN).  The other day, she was out in the yard for 4 hours playing with Sonny, came inside, went upstairs with the girls and peed all over the playroom.  This is happening more and more and I know she is beginning to have less feeling in her rear.  She has to use her front legs more to pull her back legs up on the couch or bed.  At least we don't have much longer to wait.  Then we have the recovery.  Luckily, she is fine in the crate.  She doesn't love it when we are here but she doesn't go nutty when we are gone.  She has in every other enclosure we have tried.  The trick will be keeping her calm for 4-6 weeks while she heals.  I need to go buy lots of rugs and find an X-pen to borrow so she can have some time out of her crate.  Any other suggestions are welcome!  I'm sure Sadie will be fine through it all (much better than I will be).   She is such a sweet girl and does whatever we ask of her.  Plus she has lots of people pulling for her!  Our whole family appreciates all of her "friends" we have met during this journey :o)

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure Sadie will be fine and I think you will be okay as well. Just take one day at a time which is easy for me to say as I'm not the one doing it. I'll be rooting for you and Sadie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it certainly a hard thing to do, but definitely the right decision. She will be a strong girl and you are giving her lots of extra years and a much better life. Sadie is very lucky to have you! We're not too far - please call if you need anything.
    - Paul, Kelly and Hunter from SC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you, Sadie, & your family as the date draws closer. You all are amazing~ the love you have invested into this special girl is like a beacon. Thank you for serving others.

    ReplyDelete